The other day I came across the first Bible that I purchased after coming to Christ. It’s old and worn with a cover that is coming off the spine. It served me well. As I looked through it, I found some notes from a sermon that I had heard that I had written in the back. I wish I knew who had spoken these words of wisdom, but there were so many godly men speaking truth into my life during this time that I don’t know who it would have been. Whoever the teacher may have been, the truth of those words still rings true.
- I must understand that God very much wants to communicate to me and control my life (Heb 1:1-2)
- I must approach the Bible knowing that God wants me to know truth and that he put it into writing (Ex. 24:14-16)
- I must have the conviction that although God used human authors that he also prevailed [upon] them, that what they wrote were the very words of God (1Cor 14:37)
- I must have the conviction that all of Scripture is given by inspiration of God (2Tim 3:16)
- I need to establish a daily pattern of reading & studying the Bible.
- I must read prayerful and with dependence on the Holy Spirit (1Jn 2:27)